Five people on Wednesday were charged with terror, kidnapping and firearms crimes after holding 11 children hostage at a New Mexico compound where they resided, according to Fox News.
READ MORE: Beyoncé won’t hand over texts in Blue Ivy trademark battle
Jany Leveille, 36, Siraj Ibn Wahhaj, 40, Hurjah Wahhaj, 38, Subhanah Wahhaj, 36, and Lucas Morton, 41, were charged “with federal offenses related to terrorism, kidnapping and firearms violations,” according to the Department of Justice press release.
Son of Jany Leveille Gives Authorities Details About Life At New Mexico Compound https://t.co/Iy3j8lMnZ9
— Activist Peter Boykin #LGBexit Campaign Founder (@peterboykin) September 3, 2018
The suspects were caught and arrested by authorities on Aug.3 after there were reports that 3-year-old, Abdul-ghani Wahhaj had been missing from Georgia since December.
Taos County Sheriff’s deputies in New Mexico say they found 11 children at the New Mexico compound. The children were taken into custody under state child welfare workers. On Aug. 6, three days later after the raid, remains of a child were found at the compound inside an underground tunnel at the compound.
Prosecutors say that Siraj Ibn Wahhaj was allegedly training children to commit school shootings and were allegedly taught how to use weapons and “tactical techniques” to kill corrupt institutions, teachers and law enforcement.
“The indictment alleges that the defendants conspired to provide material support in preparation for violent attacks against federal law enforcement officers and members of the military,” General John C. Demers, assistant attorney for the Department of Justice’s National Security Division said.
With the initial indictment, one of the suspects, Leveille was charged with “ “possessing firearms and ammunition as an alien illegally and unlawfully in the United States.” On Sept. 11, all of the suspects were charged “with a conspiracy relating to the possession of firearms and ammunition by an alien illegally and unlawfully in the United States,” according to the DOJ.
READ MORE: Sam Jackson: Trump is ‘ruining the planet and all kinds of other crazy sh-t’
Michael McGarrity, the assistant director of the Counterterrorism Division for the FBI said, “The defendants in this case allegedly were preparing for deadly attacks and their targets included law enforcement and military personnel, the very people who are committed to protecting all of us,” he said “We will continue to work with our law enforcement partners to uncover and put a stop to acts of terrorism.”
The suspects are currently in custody and are waiting for trial.